For people who care about squashing bugs: January 20th-23rd

Happy New Year, all!

With the rounding of the calendar, we are now at the end of the stated
"major, archive-shaking changes" period for etch.  This was met with the
near-perfect timing of kdelibs4c2a reaching testing on January 4,
effectively bringing to a close the C++ ABI transition; the only things
remaining are a few strangling libraries and some rebuilds of stand-alone
C++ apps for the release team to worry about.  So while there's still nine
months or so of development time that maintainers can use for improving
their packages, the overall shape of etch should be a lot like that of
testing today.  Going forward, please take care to coordinate with the
release team if you will be uploading changes affecting more than a dozen
or so source packages; and as always, if you are making changes to library
packages that will affect dependent packages, please coordinate with those
maintainers before uploading.

We had one major archive-shaking change sneak under the wire, with the
removal of xlibs-dev from unstable[1].  Those who follow the status of
release-critical bugs in testing[2] will surely have noticed the impact of
this event, with 576 new RC bugs appearing overnight (!).  Maintainer
responsiveness has been pretty good, with 159 bugs fixed by the maintainer
and 33 fixed in NMU in the first week, but that still leaves two-thirds of
these bugs yet to resolve; and of course, there are lots of other
release-critical bugs that also need to be fixed before we can release.
Which means... it's BSP time!

A bug-squashing party will be held this weekend, 20-23Jan, in #debian-bugs
on irc.oftc.net.  The target of this BSP will be two-fold: to fix packages
that still depend/build-depend on xlibs-dev, and to continue pruning the
reverse-dependencies of libfreetype6 in preparation for an upcoming package
rename.

Pages are available in the Debian Wiki[3,4] for both transitions, and will
be kept updated with relevant information for the BSP.  Since we are
currently in 0-day NMU mode and you've all received a recent refresher on
NMU etiquette[5], and this BSP also has a fairly narrow focus, I'll forgo
the usual incantations about BSP mechanics and instead refer you to past
announcements in a comical trail of link indirection[6].  Of course, given
that it *is* open season on bugs for etch, there's no need to wait for the
weekend, or to limit yourself to just these particular bugs; people will be
around on #debian-bugs most hours of the day to help with bug-related
questions.

So stop by for an hour, or waste your whole weekend; and enjoy the feel of
bugs squishing beneath your bare toes.  Fun for the whole family![7]

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2006/01/msg00003.html
[2] http://bugs.debian.org/release-critical/
[3] http://wiki.debian.org/DependsXlibsDev
[4] http://wiki.debian.org/FreetypeTransition
[5] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2006/01/msg00001.html
[6] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2005/08/msg00015.html
[7] disclaimer: this message not endorsed by the family of Steve Langasek