Bits from the Package Tracking System

Hello everybody,

here are some news about the latest changes made to the Package Tracking
System.

New derivatives keyword
-----------------------

The PTS will be used to relay informations from derivative distributions.
Therefore, a new keyword "derivatives" has been implemented. By default, a
PTS subscriber won't receive the messages associated to this keyword
unless he has already manually activated the "cvs" keyword (i.e. the set
of users having the "derivatives" keyword has been initialized as the set of
users having the "cvs" keyword because those people can read patches and
are most probably interested in them).

The Ubuntu distribution will be the first to make use of this new feature.
Each time that a new package is uploaded to Ubuntu, the PTS will receive
the diff between the new version and the previous one. This way we'll
receive regularly small patches instead of having only a big monolithic
patch on http://patches.ubuntu.com/ (those will continue to be updated
anyway). Those mails will look like this:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-patches/2006-July/thread.html

The maintainer can thus subscribe to this specific keyword and be informed
when Ubuntu introduces changes to their Debian package.

Other derivatives distributions are encouraged to follow this path and to
at least make patches available if they don't have the time to properly
submit them via the BTS. Feel free to contact me to work out
implementation details for the PTS integration.

To subscribe to specific keywords only, the simplest is to use the online
form on the left colum on each page of the PTS. Just type your email and
select "advanced mode". http://packages.qa.debian.org/<srcpackage>
Check out the documentation if you want to use the mail bot:
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/ch-resources.en.html#s-pkg-tracking-system

Changing keyword on all subscriptions
keywordall - derivatives
keywordall my-own-email@example.com - derivatives

On the contrary people who want to have the "derivatives" keyword on all
their subscriptions can use one of those commands:
keywordall + derivatives
keywordall my-own-email@example.com + derivatives

(Of course it also works with the usual keywords)

Automatic bounce handling