Extremadura Sessions: the i18n infrastructure session September 2006

(reply-to -i18n...please subscribe to this list if you intend to
participate in the discussion...please do not CC posters unless they
explicitely ask for it)

After some heat back in December 2005, I've voluntarily left the topic
of the i18n session we (Debian i18n people) plan to hold in
Extremadura, Spain next September.

This seems to be time to revive it now.

SOME BACKGROUND
---------------

Let me first summarize what are these Extremadura sessions.

In the Extremadura region of Spain, the regional government, namely
"Junta de Extremadura", has started a few years ago a strong movement
towards the use of Free Software in its educational system and general
regional information system.

This is mostly based on a local work which has derived a specialized
Linux distributions, named "Linex", which is strongly based on the
Debian distribution. This is one of the largest Debian deplyments in
the world (over 80k workstations).

The Extremadura authorities and the local people involved in this work
have decided to help the Debian Project by acting as "Friends of
Debian" (http://wiki.debian.org/FriendsOfDebian). This lead to the
proposal of holding "work sessions", funded by the Junta de
Extremadura, where up to 20 people are invited to come over in
Extremadura, use facilities there, and work together on some
specialized topics for the Debian Project. See
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2005/12/msg00003.html
for the original annoucement and
http://wiki.debian.org/WorkSessionsExtremadura for the planned
sessions list.

Having some focus put on topics of interest for the applications in
Extremadura is encouraged, though not mandatory.

The first of these sessions has been held on the third week-end of
January at Casar de Cacéres, near the city of Cacéres. It was focused
on the work around the future Graphical Installer of the Debian
distribution. Davide Viti organized it for Debian and gathered 9
people over there (a report will soon be posted). See
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstallerWorkSessionExtremadura2006jan .

THE i18n SESSION PROPOSAL
------------------------

Back in December 2005, I started a talk about the possible organization of
a session focused on i18n, with a more precise goal of setting up, or
at least define, the infrastructure we all know we need for a more
efficient i18n/l10n work. See
http://lists.debian.org/debian-i18n/2005/12/msg00000.html and the
following threads.

The principle of having this session in September 2006 (from Sept 6th
to Sept 10th) has been accepted and several participants of
debian-i18n have agreed to come in Extremadura. Actually, even more
than 20, which might cause funding and hosting problems..:-)
(moreover, the funding is not illimited, especially if many people
come from outside Europe).

A wiki page has been set for this project at
http://wiki.debian.org/WorkSessionExtremadura2006i18n where interested
people already registered to come and participate.

WHAT WILL WE DO OVER THERE?
---------------------------

This mostly depends on what will happen during another event, namely
the Debian Conference, May 14th-May 22th, in Mexico. Along with Javier
Fernandez Sanguino-Pena, I proposed to hold there a round table about
i18n topics (https://www.debconf.org/comas/general/proposals/14). I
see this round table as a good start for talking together about the
general needs in Debian for a more efficient i18n infrastructure.

I expect this round table, and the more informal meetings that will
follow, to help focusing on the general topics of interest and give us
a good start.

I expect us to develop a closer interaction with Ubuntu and other
Debian derivatives such as Debian-Edu/Skolelinux because both projects
might have common needs for these matters and we, for instance, can
certainly benefit Ubuntu experience with Rosetta (yes, I know it's not
free).

Later, between the Debian Conference and the scheduled meeting, I
expect we work in the -i18n mailing list on finalizing some realistic
goals for a common i18n infrastructure.

Then, in an Extremadura meeting, we will finalize these goals, talk
about the existing solutions, our common experience and what has already
been done for similar goals....then choose the appropriate solutions and
begin assigning tasks to the project members.

If we're lucky enough to have enough material and a precise enough
plan, then we will start working on some parts of the infrastructure,
which could be the DDTP (Debian Description Translation Project)
revival.

The translation of packages description is one of the most awaited
features right now so it could be a good test case for a general
infrastructure.

WHAT WILL WE *NOT* DO OVER THERE
--------------------------------

This will not be a translation sprint.

This will probably *not* be a coding session unless we are already
ready and know what we want to do (I doubt it except maybe for the
DDTP).

WHAT SHOULD YOU DO?
------------------

If interested, first of all go to the wiki page and check whether
you're registered there. Please determine if your own goals fit the
above and of course criticize these proposal if they don't (you'll
maybe find that the proposal may sound less ambitious than you would
have imagined).

I'll edit this page a little bit more now to better fit these
proposals.

Please register only if you think you can bring and share some
experience in these matters. Don't be shy and don't underestimate what
you can bring. We need to have as much input as possible to be sure
that the decisions made there fit the real need of translators and
translation teams.

If you think you can bring some added value to the planned round table
at the Debian Conference, please get in touch directly with me, I'll
be very glad to have you at the round table (for this you need to have
registered yourself for Debconf already if you need funding: request
for sponsorship for Debconf are now closed as far as I know).

If you can't come to these events, don't feel desperate. Talk about
your needs, do your best to summarize them, as well as any idea you
might have about what is a "good" i18n infranstructure for you, and
share them in the debian-i18n mailing list.

See you in Extremadura!