Bug Squashing Party next weekend -- September, 2th - 4th

Hi.

The last Bug Squashing Party was quite sucessful in reducing the number
of release critical bugs but since then the number is slowly climbing again.
So I feel it is time for the next one.

Therefor I announce the next Bug Squashing Party (BSP) for the next weekend,
September 2th until September 4th. Coordination will happen over IRC channel
#debian-bugs on irc.debian.org as usual.

As Qt and kdelibs also have made their C++ transition in unstable we should
be able to target allmost all g++ 4.0 related bugs this time. On the other hand
this means that a Qt or kdelibs build-dependency is no excuse anymore for
not fixing your RC bugs so expect removals from testing for related bugs
in the near future. You might want to check the release team's FAQ on
the topic[0].

[0] http://release.debian.org/removing-packages-from-testing

Unlike shortly before sarge release there should be plenty of bugs
for all levels of complexity, programming language skills and
time requirements. So if you never attended to a BSP before and
want to help, _now_ is the right time to start. The RC Bug Squashing
HOWTO[1] by Steve Langasek gives a good introduction and is probably
a must-read for beginners. But don't hesitate to ask questions in
#debian-bugs, we will be eager to get you to do some work :)
Non-DDs can also easily contribute by creating patches and/or
testing existing ones. Just send them to the related bug report,
a DD can easily pick it up from there.
See also the end of this mail for a list of useful links.

[1] http://people.debian.org/~vorlon/rc-bugsquashing.html

Procedures:

During the BSP we should use a 0-Day NMU policy again, that means
uploads that fix RC bugs that are more than a week old can be uploaded
directly. This worked reasonably well during the sarge release process
so I see no reason not to use it again. If you feel unsure about a
patch and/or if the patch is rather invasive, please consider asking
on #debian-bugs for review and/or giving the maintainer some time
to react by uploading to the DELAYED queue[2].

[2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2004/02/msg00887.html
    and http://people.debian.org/~djpig/delayed.html

Everyone should consider reading the two announcements by Matthias
Klose and Steve Langasek about the C++ transition ([3],[4]) and
the mails by Colin Watson and Pascal Hakim about the latest BTS
features ([5],[6]) before attending the BSP.

[3] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2005/07/msg00001.html
[4] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2005/07/msg00007.html
[5] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2005/07/msg00010.html
[6] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2005/07/msg00014.html

Other useful links:

where to find available RC bugs:
  http://bts.turmzimmer.net/details.php?ignore=sid&ignnew=on&new=7

state of the C++ transition (useful to find packages that need to be
fixed/transitioned):
  http://people.debian.org/~mfurr/gxx/

build logs for failed builds:
  http://buildd.debian.org/