Bits from the DPL (conferences)

This is a summary of some conferences I'm going to attend in the next
two weeks.  Perhaps I'll have the chance to meet some of you there.

  - Open Source World Conference, Malaga, Spain.  18-20 February, 2004.
    http://www.opensourceworldconference.com/

    As part of this conference, a meeting on Debian-based distributions
    will take place.  The Government of the Junta de Andalucia has
    invited representatives from Guadalinex, Linex and SkoleLinux, and
    some Debian developers to discuss how we can cooperate more closely
    in the future.  Better cooperation and integration of various
    Debian-based distributions has been a great concern for me for a
    while and I hope this meeting will be very fruitful.  More
    information can be found at http://www.ddeb.org/ddeb

    Since Wichert Akkerman will attend this meeting, I have also invited
    some Debian developers to discuss the bi-arch issue and find out how
    it could be implemented best.  At the Open Source World Conference, I
    will also take part in a "vision from the gurus" session, along with
    Bdale Garbee and others.

  - Free and Open Source Software Developers' European Meeting, Brussels,
    Belgium.  21-22 February, 2004.  http://www.fosdem.org/

    We will have a booth at FOSDEM and share a development room with the
    Free Java people.  We have planned some joint sessions to see how more
    of our Java packages can be moved from contrib to main, and there will
    be some talks about Debian.  Wouter Verhelst posted a schedule [1].

    On Saturday evening, FOSDEM will organize a buffet in which most
    speakers and some development rooms will take part.  Debian will
    take part as well.  I've put together a list of Debian-related people
    who I know are planning to attend FOSDEM.  I just sent an e-mail to
    all of them - if you have not received e-mail from me about this and
    would like to attend the buffet, please get in touch with me asap.

  - Media Innovation Unit - Firenze Tecnologia, February 24-27, 2004.

    MIU-FT is involved with DeMuDi - the Debian Multimedia Distribution.
    They have invited me for a meeting to discuss the future of DeMuDi.
    Furthermore, we will discuss a possible EC (European Commission)
    proposal involving Debian.  Finally, they organized a workshop/
    conference during which I will give a talk about Debian.  See [2]
    for more information about the program.

    I will arrive in Firenze on Monday, February 23rd, and Christian
    Surchi, Davide Puricelli and I were discussing going out for dinner
    that evening.  If you're interested in joining us, please contact
    me.

I hope to see some of you at the conferences!

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-events-eu/2004/debian-events-eu-200402/msg00042.html
[2] http://convegni.firenzetecnologia.it/innovare.htm
--
Martin Michlmayr