nibble from the DDTP

Hello,

after a long time it's time to write a report about the Debian
Description Translation Project (DDTP).

  The old story: translation of package descriptions

  Most importantly: The DDTP is still running, and our archive
  continues to grow. For a pretty graph of this growth, look to
  <http://ddtp.debian.org/stats/pdesc/all.en.html>.

  Here just some hard numbers:
   15794 descriptions are now in the database of the DDTS
   10326 descriptions are in sid/main
   10451 descriptions are translated into de
    8496 descriptions are translated into ja
    4657 descriptions are translated into pt_BR
    4135 descriptions are translated into it
    3796 descriptions are translated into fr
  We also have translations to 10 other languages.

  The DDTP uses its own BTS system.  You can see the "development" of
  such bugs on the above url.

  The DDTP runs on its own domain 'ddtp.debian.org'.  LoLo work very
  hard on the web site in the past weeks.  Now we have a new very nice
  project web page.  Try <http://ddtp.debian.org>.  The web page is
  translatable and some translations are in progress.
  If you will help, mail webmaster@ddtp.debian.org

  At the moment we provide an rsync-able directory on ddtp.debian.org
  with translated Packages files and some soft links and fortunately
  we found some Debian mirrors who are already supporting this,
  though, we're looking forward to adding more.

  Currently you can use

    deb ftp://ftp.de.debian.org/debian-ddtp de/woody main

  in your /etc/apt/sources.list to use translated descriptions.  Yes,
  this is a hack but it works well and it is the first step to wider
  support.  In future we need real support for translated
  descriptions.  You'll find more information in
  <ftp://ftp.de.debian.org/debian-ddtp/README>.

  See <http://ddtp.debian.org/pdesc/screenshots/> for screenshots of
  package managers that use translated descriptions.

  The ftpmasters and the apt team decide to use Translation-$lang
  files for the 'way to transfer translated descriptions from the
  archive to the user'. The Translation-de will look like
      Package: foo
      Description-md5: 43e2427b882b1a6e59b7bd408d698f38
       I can't speak German...

  Otavio start with patching APT. Now he has the download part... If
  we have more news, we will make a announcement.

  A little, new story: English package descriptions

  The ddtp server support now the review of english descriptions. If
  someone send a changed english descriptions to the server, it will
  submit a debian bug report to the bugs.debian.org in the name of
  the reviewer.

  This is more to support the translator and reviewer, if they find
  a bug in a english description. They can send the fix with the
  translation/review to the server and the server make the real
  work. (see #156303 as a example)

  But pepole with English as native language, can use this for a
  generall review of all english package descriptions. (send only a
  mail with the subject 'REVIEW 5 en' to pdesc@ddtp.debian.org)

  A new story: translation of tasksel descriptions

  I send a patch for the tasksel package (#157848) to the BTS. With
  this patch, tasksel support translated task descriptions.

  We add a new part to the DDTS for the translation of this
  descriptions. It work and you can find the first screenshots on
  <http://ddtp.debian.org/tasksel/screenshots/>. The translated
  debian-tasks.desc files are on
  <http://ddtp.debian.org/tasksel/translated>

  If you want to try it (without patched tasksel):
     LANG=de
     cd /usr/share/tasksel
     mv debian-tasks.desc debian-tasks.desc-en
     wget http://ddtp.debian.org/tasksel/translated/debian-tasks.desc-$LANG
     ln -s debian-tasks.desc-$LANG debian-tasks.desc

  A newest story: translation of debconf templates

  Debconf support translation of some tags in the templates files
  since years.

  I started myself a web page for a coordination of the templates
  translation some years ago. In the beginning of this web page, we
  have <<100 packages with debconf templates. Now we have >500
  packages and the number is growing up.

  The web page is not the best way for this work. I start to add
  support of debconf templates translations in the DDTS.

  The work is not finished yet, but we have this points:
    - A script get all debconf templates from all binary packages and
      store the english and any translated description in the ddtp
      database daily.
    - you can get a debconf description with the 'GET' command from
      the ddts
    - A reviewer can request a translation for a review with the
      'REVIEW' command
    - the server of the ddtp make a tracking of changes, new
      descriptions etc.

  The DDTS generate translated debconf templates (see
  http://ddtp.debian.org/debconf/template_unstable/). But the server
  support now only the old debconf file format and the server support
  (now) only the translation of the description.

  The support for the newer po debconf file format it in the pipeline.

  Should the dttp submit bug reports to bugs.debian.org with the
  translations or should we put the translations only online at the
  web? Coments?

Thanks
------

  Thanks to all the translators and the reviewers.  This is your work.
  Thanks.

  Thanks to all the languages coordinators.

  Thanks to Nicolas Bertolissio for his work (server and script) and
  to LoLo for the nice web page

Grisu
--
Michael Bramer  -  a Debian Linux Developer      http://www.debsupport.de