Re: Scary bugs

On Sat, Jan 29, 2000 at 12:23:02AM +0100, Thierry Laronde wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 28, 2000 at 04:29:37PM +0100, Richard Braakman wrote:
> > I vote these "most likely to delay the release".  They are difficult
> > packages that we can't really do without, and seem to have been
> > abandoned by their maintainers.  Please help.
> >
> > Richard Braakman
> > [..]
> >
> > Package: util-linux (debian/main).
> > Maintainer: Vincent Renardias <vincent@debian.org>
> >   42556 util-linux: hwclock: Continually messes up my clock
> > [WAITING] Maintainer was contacted on Dec 12, awaiting reply.

> The reason of this mess is the script /etc/init.d/hwclock.sh, specially
> this part :
>

> stop|restart|reload)
> 	[ "$GMT" = "-u" ] && GMT="--utc"
> 	hwclock --systohc $GMT
> 	^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I don't think that's the problem.  Setting the hardware clock again to
the system time isn't the problem.  The problem is, as you mention:

> When the system is going down for halt or reboot, hwclock is set to the
> value of the system clock and this *modifies /etc/adjtime*.

/etc/adjtime.  There is no reason to have hwclock trying to calculate
drift, as either NTP will be used (which is far more accurate), or the
system will be rebooting between Windows and Linux frequently.

A new user will expect their time to follow them between OS', so I think
instead, the support for /etc/adjtime should be removed (comment out the
--adjust line in hwclock).  That's what I'm doing and don't have these
problems.

--
Ryan Murray, (rmurray@cyberhqz.com, rmurray@stormix.com)
Programmer, Stormix Technologies Inc.