Re: the logo: logo selections now available!

On Wed 07 Apr 1999, Buddha Buck wrote:

> I think Bruce Perens gave a good definition earlier...
>
>   1) easily reproduceable
>   2) instantly recognisable
>   3) iconic (i.e., not language dependent)

I've been watching all the discussions about this, and increasingly think
we're not looking for a logo; we appear to be looking for a symbol.

One of the criteria was that it shouldn't be based on the word `debian'.
I've never really seen a good argument for this; many (if not most)
commercial logos are based on the word (Sony, GMC, Canon, IBM, Kellogs,
KLM, Nokia, (dare I say it) Microsoft, ...).

A symbol, however, is a different kettle of fish.

> My question:
>
>   Why are we discussing this on debian-devel-ANNOUNCE?

Because debian-devel-announce doesn't set an automatic
reply-to: debian-devel in the style of comp.os.linux.announce setting
the followups to col.misc and no one notices / can be bothered to change
that.

Paul Slootman
--
home: paul@wurtel.demon.nl | work: paul@murphy.nl | debian: paul@debian.org