Debian Weekly News - 19 to 25 Jan 1999

      [ Also available at http://www.debian.org/News/weekly/1999/4/ ]

                    Debian Weekly News - 19 to 25 Jan 1999

   Welcome to the fourth edition Debian Weekly News, a newsletter for the
   Debian developer community. As you can see, this is now part of the
   main Debian web site.

   The license for the Debian logo has [8]expired again. We need to come
   up with and ratify a permanent license. There has been some talk about
   a new logo, too -- one possibility would be to use a gimp logo
   contest, which has produced excellent results in the past for projects
   like Gnome.

   Bruce Perens asked us what we think about the [9]license of [10]Zope.
   The license has a requirement that you must add a "powered by Zope"
   button to your web pages if you use it. Everyone agrees this is
   obnoxious, but it may still be allowed by the DFSG. One thing this
   [11]discussion highlighted is that point 6 of the DFSG ("No
   Discrimination Against Fields of Endeavor") is too vague and too
   easily misinterpreted. One way this might be fixed is if we ratify a
   new version of the DFSG, such as the draft version Darren Benham
   [12]posted this week.

   Should all Debian developers be required to agree with the DFSG? A
   thread about this started in debian-private and later [13]escaped to
   the debian-devel mailing list. Everyone agrees developers must
   understand and abide by the DFSG when working on Debian, but there is
   no consensus that they must also agree with it. One commonly held
   opinion is that developers should at least believe in the spirit of
   the DFSG, but may disagree with specific points of it. Another common
   opinion is that it doesn't matter what developer's private opinions of
   the document are.

   On the conferences front, [14]LinuxTag '99, "the largest German Linux
   user show" (and probably the largest Linux event in Europe), has
   [15]invited Debian to attend. Many European developers have expressed
   interest, and there is now a [16]mailing list devoted to organizing
   Debian's presence there. Also, [17]LinuxCentral has donated to Debian
   a booth on the LinuxWorld Expo show floor and volunteers are needed to
   man the booth. For more information about this event see the [18]entry
   in the Debian events page.

   Good news for French developers: the French Prime Minister [19]has
   announced that cryptography will become legal in France. This will
   finally allow signing of Debian packages in France with standard
   tools.

   Last week with excitement growing about the imminent linux 2.2
   release, Joey Hess [20]proposed that Debian add a source package for
   kernel 2.2 to frozen as a convenience to our users so they can easily
   get it on CD. Even though we're in the deep freeze, this idea met with
   a lot of approval, and our release manager, Brian White, is cautiously
   [21]agreeing with to allow it in. Now that 2.2 is finally released,
   preliminary packages are [22]available.

   Branden Robinson posted an [23]explanation of the Great X
   Reorganization, to go into the release notes for Debian 2.1. If you
   haven't dealt with the Reorganization yet it's a useful document to
   read. A few problems with the renamed font packages are still being
   hashed out.

   Steven Baker [24]started a thread about the names used for debian
   packages, which increasingly have to contain part of the version
   number of the package. This is ugly, but it can be hard for
   experienced debianites to see this as a problem until they step back
   and look at things from a new user's perspective. One solution could
   be to modify dpkg so it can install multiple versions of the same
   package. Some people [25]pointed out that RPM can do exactly this.
   However, such a change to dpkg would be a lot of work, for relatively
   little gain, and could introduce worse problems.

   New packages added to Debian this week include:
     * [26]vrms, a "Virtual Richard M. Stallman", it will report all
       non-free packages you have installed.
     * [27]rolldice, a computerized dice roller for the RPG'ers out
       there. (Judging by the [28]enthusiastic discussion about this new
       package, a fair number of developers are into Role Playing Games.)
     * [29]wmglobe, xearth shrunk into a 64x64 icon.
     * [30]nestra, a free Nintendo emulator.

   Help wanted:
     * Scott Hanson [31]needs a co-maintainer for the mysql packages.
     * Barak Pearlmutter [32]informed us about a large Debian Beowulf
       cluster to be set up at UNM in Albuquerque New Mexico; he is
       looking for a Debian developer to admin it.

   Followups to previous news items:
     * Dan Quinlan [33]responded to the concerns about the LSB test
       suite. According to Dan, "...the TOG is *not* defining LSB. Linux
       people are defining it -- and if a company passes every hurdle we
       insist that they pass, why shouldn't we allow them to help?"