Hamm Bug Stamp-Out List for June 22, 1998

Welcome to the new Hamm Bugs Stamp-Out List.

Since Richard Braakman is currently on vacation, I will be maintaining
this list for two weeks. Let's hope I learnt from my last post and didn't
make any weird errors this time.

Major changes:
- Fixes were uploaded for: a2ps, dosemu, libc6, metamail, python-dev and ssleay.
- non-i386 bugs for some packages were fixed
- lots ftp.debian.org bugs were closed
- bug-count is down from 92 on friday to 66: we're getting there!

There are now 66 release-critical bugs, 14 marked FIX. This leaves us
52 bugs. (actually quite a few bugs are already fixed and can be closed)

Mon, 22 Jun 1998 21:33:55 GMT: 66 release-critical bugs in hamm.

Package: boot-floppies
Maintainer: Enrique Zanardi <sr1-boot-floppies@debian.org>
  23167  uncaught error in unpacking modules
[FIX] Fixed in boot-floppies 2.0.7, which will be uploaded soon.
  23679  bootdisk: no boot from MBR

Package: bootdisk             (pseudo)
Maintainer: Maintainer Group <sr1-boot-floppies@debian.org>
  23171  PCMCIA modules don't match kernel version on boot disks
[STRATEGY] Luis Francisco Gonzalez: "This bug is not in the
           boot-floppies. The idea was to make sure we knew that there
           is need to wait for the new pcmcia-packages but the bug is
           in those packages as we only use the standard
           kernel/pcmcia-modules."

Package: cwnn
Maintainer: Keita Maehara <maehara@debian.org>
  20539  Overlap between cwnn, wnn, and kwnn
[FIX] wnn 4.2-4 has been installed, bug should be closed

Package: debian-policy
Maintainer: Debian QA <debian-qa@lists.debian.org>
  23661  Security issue when accessing documentation through an http

Package: dhcp
Maintainer: Rich Sahlender <rsahlen@debian.org>
  23087  dhcp stopped working after upgrade
[STRATEGY] Use the patch Eloy A. Paris submitted to the BTS.

Package: dhttpd
Maintainer: Nicolás Lichtmaier <nick@feedback.com.ar>
  23659  /var/www/doc symlink introduces a security weakness
This is probably the as bug 23661.

Package: dpkg
Maintainer: Klee Dienes and Ian Jackson <dpkg-maint@chiark.greenend.org.uk>
   1797  upgrade/downgrade dependency calculation problem
  17381  dpkg: please add --force-overwrite-inexistant-files and def
  17624  dpkg: installs regular dir when .deb contains symlink !
  20401  Problems updating bo -> hamm
  21182  dpkg: dpkg can go into an infinite loop with --force-config
  23520  dpkg dumps core while reading /var/lib/dpkg/status

Package: dpkg-dev
Maintainer: Klee Dienes and Ian Jackson <dpkg-maint@chiark.greenend.org.uk>
  20776  dpkg-dev: dpkg-dev does not use emacsen-commen method of in
  21186  dpkg-dev: dpkg-dev has a file also provided in dpkg

Package: dpkg-python
Maintainer: Klee Dienes <klee@debian.org>
  23059  .py files must not install files into /usr/lib/python
[FIX] Fixing this would break other packages in hamm.  Gregor Hoffleit
      (python maintainer) said he would change the severity level of
      the bug to 'normal'.  Matthias Klose will fix it in slink.

Package: dwww
Maintainer: Jim Pick <jim@jimpick.com>
[FIX] Install dwww 1.4.3.2-0.1, NMU upload by Joost Kooy on June 18
  16212  dwww: dwww tries to update-menus every day

Package: emacs19
Maintainer: eichin@kitten.gen.ma.us (Mark W. Eichin)
  23742  emacs19 should probably be just "emacs"

Package: emacs20
Maintainer: Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu>
  22577  compile of pcl-cvs.el fails (cannot load "cookie")

Package: file-rc
Maintainer: Martin Schulze <joey@debian.org>
  23057  file-rc: rcS fails to complete startup
[HELP] "file-rc has one release critical bug.  I can't reproduce this bug
        on my systems that use file-rc. At the moment I don't think
		that I'm able to track it down - mainly due time shortness.  Could
		somebody please review it and investigate the problem."

Package: ftp.debian.org       (pseudo)
Maintainer: Guy Maor <ftpmaster@debian.org>
  16652  javalex: bad dependencies
  22832  ftp.debian.org: m68k Packages files not being updated
  22946  We have two priority: standard emacs.
  23327  Please remove javalex from hamm

Package: gstep-make           (i386 contrib)
Maintainer: Gregor Hoffleit <flight@debian.org>
  22328  gstep-make configuration / gstep-* new versions
[FIX] This has been fixed by the gstep-* 0.5.0.980520-1 versions, which
      have been installed in hamm.

Package: infocom
Maintainer: Brian White <bcwhite@pobox.com>
  23563  infocom: /usr/doc/infocom/copyright doesn't include a licen

Package: kdebase              (i386 contrib)
Maintainer: Stephan Kulow <coolo@kde.org>
  23655  kdebase includes /etc/X11/Xsession

Package: kernel-image-2.0.34
Maintainer: Herbert Xu <herbert@debian.org>
  23668  kernel-image-2.0.34: crc error

Package: libc5-dev            (m68k main)
Maintainer: Helmut Geyer <Helmut.Geyer@iwr.uni-heidelberg.de>
  19347  libc5-dev: no-copyright-file LI#82
[STRATEGY] libc5-dev can be removed from m68k once libc5 5.4.38-1.1 has
      been compiled for it.

Package: libc6
Maintainer: Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net>
  20714  Current libc6 is a beta.
[FIX] Dale Scheetz uploaded 2.0.7 on June 20
  20799  getgrnam does not return when group name does not exist
[FIX] Fixed in 2.0.7, which Dale Scheetz uploaded on June 20
  22626  netbase: bugtraq says: RPC services are subject to Denial o
[FIX] Fixed in 2.0.7, which Dale Scheetz uploaded on June 20
  22790  libc6: login(3) does not reuse dead entries
[FIX] Fixed in 2.0.7, which Dale Scheetz uploaded on June 20
  23698  Linux-security says: Beware of dangerous enviroment (libc6)
[STRATEGY] Merge a patch from Ulrich Drepper which he posted on linux-security
           a month ago.

Package: libc6-dev
Maintainer: Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net>
[HELP] Dale Scheetz: "I have not had a chance to even read these
       reports yet. Some outside help determining what should, or
       shouldn't change would be helpful here."
(My translation: send him patches :-)
  19797  libc6-dev: use of /tmp/*$$ in an insecure fashion
[FIX] Fixed in 2.0.7, which Dale Scheetz uploaded on June 20
  21884  libc6-dev: relative links between top-level dirs
  23458  cdwrite: unable to build from source
[STRATEGY] Dale is investigating this and will contact the upstream author.

Package: libdb1-dev           (alpha main)
Maintainer: Mark Eichin <eichin@kitten.gen.ma.us>
[FIX] Handle bug#23245 to ftp.debian.org, which requests removal of libdb
      from hamm.
  19351  libdb1-dev: no-copyright-file LI#86

Package: libpaperg
Maintainer: Marco Pistore <pistore@di.unipi.it>
  23636  libpaperg: cant upgrade
[HELP] Marco Pistore could not reprodduce this one, he needs someone
       to help him with this one.

Package: libreadline2
Maintainer: Guy Maor <maor@debian.org>
  22941  libreadline2 depends on libc6

Package: libreadlineg2
Maintainer: Guy Maor <maor@debian.org>
  23035  bash: Not 8-bit clean.

Package: login
Maintainer: Guy Maor <maor@debian.org>
  22191  login: does not chown /dev/vcs* anymore
[NOTE] This was recently discussed on debian-devel.

Package: modutils
Maintainer: Wichert Akkerman <wakkerma@debian.org>
  22612  modutils package is difficult to upgrade from bo
[HELP] Need people to upgrade from bo machines, try to reproduce.
       Wichert: "I can't reproduce that one.  I found a glitch in the
       postinst though which I fixed.  I guess I have to wait for some
       people to upgrade more bo machines to check if it works."
	   Update: 1 success report received.

Package: mtools
Maintainer: Mark Eichin <eichin@kitten.gen.ma.us>
  23604  mtools: insecure use of /tmp

Package: nonus.debian.org     (pseudo)
Maintainer: Sven Rudolph <sr1@inf.tu-dresden.de>
This is being maintained by Heiko Schlittermann <heiko@lotte.sax.de>.
  18572  nonus.debian.org: remove des-solnet_1.03-5.deb
  18785  nonus.debian.org: incoming backlog
  20773  nonus.debian.org: please remove gnupg from frozen
  21423  Dpkg-ftp can't handle alternative distributions
[HELP] Yann Dirson: "This used to work until some date I don't know
       exactly. I guess that non-us has changed the paths they use
       in the Packages file."  (more info, and workaround, in the bug
       entry itself)
       (Bug has been reassigned from dpkg-ftp to nonus.debian.org)
  22287  nonus.debian.org with incorrect layout

Package: passwd
Maintainer: Guy Maor <maor@debian.org>
  21275  passwd: useradd violates base-passwd's rules

Package: ppp-pam
Maintainer: Philip Hands <phil@hands.com>
  23784  ppp logins shows up as a_ppp

Package: sendmail
Maintainer: Richard Nelson <cowboy@debian.org>
  23774  sendmail: segfaults on -v -q
[STRATEGY] Problem has been localized and reported uptream. Currently
           waiting for an upstream fix.

Package: smail
Maintainer: Soenke Lange <soenke@escher.north.de>
  23717  smail: smtp entry in inetd.conf gone after smail upgrade

Package: ssh                  (i386 non-us)
Maintainer: Philip Hands <phil@hands.com>
[FIX] Philip Hands uploaded 1.2.25-1 on June 18, which fixes both the debug
      message and the security fix.
  22470  ssh: ssh spits out debugging messages because of socks4
[FIX] "I just uploaded 1.2.23-1 without socks support.  I'll wait for
       the problem to be resolved in libsocks before putting it back
       in again."

Package: svgalib-bin
Maintainer: Andy Mortimer <andy.mortimer@poboxes.com>
  23601  svgalib-bin: insecure use of /tmp
[FIX] Install 1.2.13-3.3

Package: wu-ftpd-academ
Maintainer: Heiko Schlittermann <heiko@lotte.sax.de>
  17401  netstd overwrites ftpd.8.gz
  20355  wu-ftpd: contains ftpd.8.gz which is also present in netstd

Package: xbase
Maintainer: Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org>
[HELP] See http://master.debian.org/~branden/xsf.html for detailed
       discussion of these problems and ways you can help.
  22329  Patch for #20685 prevents talk working
[HELP] Please see the XSF page for more information.
  22668  TERM=xterm meaning has changed incompatibly
[STRATEGY] "Coordinate with ncurses-base maintainer to use XFree86's xterm
     entry for xterm, put our modified version into a new terminal type
     called xterm-debian, and change XTerm's app-defaults file to use
     xterm-debian by default.  See the XSF page for more information."
  22877  xbase: xdm port, and X applications
[HELP] "These have been forwarded upstream but I haven't heard anything
        from XFree86 about them to date.  Fixing them is beyond my knowledge."
  22928  New upstream security fix release
[STRATEGY] The patches have been applied, but a build has not yet been done.
  23002  Problem With Fresh Install
[HELP] "I need some advice on this one."
       (The rest is too long to quote.  See Branden's mail at
http://http://www.nl.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-devel-9806/msg00733.html)

Package: xlib6g
Maintainer: Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org>
  23122  typo in debian/rules
[STRATEGY] "Already applied to the source tree, but no package has been built
            yet."
  23274  xlib6g: Upgrading to 3.3.2.1-1 breaks keyboard
[STRATEGY] "I think I have already fixed it.  I'll find out when I do
            another build."
  23441  xlib6g is not thread-safe
[STRATEGY] "I think I have already fixed it.  I'll find out when I do
            another build. Probably the same bug as #23274"

Package: xviewg-dev
Maintainer: Martin Buck <mbuck@debian.org>
  23598  xviewg-dev (cv2xview): insecure use of /tmp