Re: Packages Removed from Hamm (!)

Brian White <bcwhite@verisim.com> writes:

> This is the last chance to give reasons why the distribution would
> be better off being delayed that shipping without these packages.

> hwtools 21288 hwtools: irqtune should be in /usr/sbin, or rc.boot
> script fixed [34] (Siggy Brentrup <bsb@debian.org>)

Well, my main machine wouldn't even be functional without this
package.  There's a whole series of IBM DFHS drives (otherwise good
drives) that die with the newer kernels because they falsely advertize
features by having their DQue bit set.  To use them with the new
adaptec scsi drivers, you have to use scsi-config to turn off that bit
in the drive's firmware.

I also sent some other patches to Christoph that fix a *bunch* of
memory overrun errors in scsidev and its scsi command code.  I don't
know if those made it in, but they should.  Without them, scsidev just
segfaults on my system.

I would offer to fix the irqtune problem, but I'm *really* pressed for
time since I have to leave town soon.  Maybe I can get to it tomorrow,
but I'd rather someone else do it.  It shouldn't take more than an
hour.  If I had the source already, I'd guess about 15 minutes.

Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu>