Re: Debian machine usage policy

On Fri, Nov 12, 1999 at 04:54:19AM +0000, Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:
> > 3.  Don't use Debian Facilities for unlawful activities, including, but
> >     not limited to, software piracy.
>
> Word `piracy' should be avoided.

I disagree.  RMS' view that software "piracy" should not be likened to
thievery is irrelivant.  According to the laws of just about everywhere I
know of, it IS against the law and the label is universally known.  Also,
I think it's important that something we make available someplace for the
common reader to find that says we oppose and will not allow our equipment
to be used for piracy.

To hell with political correctness.  Dancing around words we don't like
only confuses people.  And people who are confused by Debian are very
likely not to consider it.

Another reason to use the word "piracy" to describe something we don't do
and won't allow is FUD combat.  M$ is doing their damnedest to make sure
people realize that their software isn't free and convince them that if
they want software they've got to pay for it.  What does that mean to us?
I tried to convince the people at school to consider Linux...

Their answer was that installing software without paying for it was
illegal.  I told them there was no cost and they said they still had to
pay for shareware or it was the same thing:  piracy.  I told them it
wasn't shareware.  They fell back on "if it's not shareware then you have
to buy it."  Yes that's stupid.  Yes they're obviously missing the point.
Yes they're not listening.  Yes they've obviously been completely
brainwashed.  But beating around the bush about not allowing piracy only
makes their FUD easier to believe.

--
- Joseph Carter         GnuPG public key:   1024D/DCF9DAB3, 2048g/3F9C2A43
- knghtbrd@debian.org   20F6 2261 F185 7A3E 79FC  44F9 8FF7 D7A3 DCF9 DAB3