Bugs in apache & libapache-mod-perl - can they be upgraded?

I Am Not A Developer - so forgive me if I'm speaking out of turn.

There are currently two bug reports submitted for a problem with apache
1.3.9-8 and libapache-mod-perl 1.21-5.  Using mod-perl causes apache to
segfault.  My report was submitted against apache 38 days ago (#46320)
and Roderick Schertler submitted one (#48069) on what I believe is the
same problem a few days ago; he submitted the report against
libapache-mod-perl.

It seems to be well-known in the mod-perl mailing list that there is a
problem (across distributions) with dynamically loaded mod-perl; many
people are advised to statically link it into apache.

My question is, can the bug be upgraded to release-critical or at least
important?  If potato were frozen now, I do not believe there would be a
working mod-perl.  Correct me if I'm wrong.  It seems a rather important
package to me.  Failing a fix for the incompatibility, what's needed is
a version of apache with a statically linked mod-perl.

Thanks for your attention.