Re: nfs-root mail-transport-agent??

On Fri, Sep 10, 1999 at 03:48:18PM +1000, Brian May wrote:
> Anyone got any good DFSG ideas on what I should recommend
> to use for the mailer for my diskless boot package??
>
> Ideally, it should be able to send mail to a relay without having to
> queue it anywhere, as queues aren't normally NFS safe. (can anyone
> tell me otherwise? whats postfix like?).
>
> Receiving is not required. I think fetchmail or something could
> be used instead (not that I have ever done this).
>
> At the moment, I have got configuration files for qmail, but I
> want to change this, as qmail is not DFSG free. In fact, qmail
> isn't even NFS-root safe, but it appears to work via a relay ;-)

Somebody suggested that I use ssmtp. This sounds like the best
program for the purpose, but raises another issue:

Consider the following points that seem to directly conflict:

- ssmtp installs in /usr, and replaces important files like
/usr/sbin/sendmail.

- my diskless package is capable of sharing /usr between the server
and the clients. However, if /usr/sbin/sendmail is different
on the client (eg ssmtp) then on the server (eg postfix), then
/usr cannot be shared. Yuck.

If only /usr/sbin/sendmail was registered via update-alternatives, it
wouldn't be a problem, as I could just have a different symlink under
/etc/alternatives. I could hack out a solution, but it would be really
messy, and the rules in my package are messy enough as is.

Any comments?
--
Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au>