Re: Knn rc.d number for distributed-net

In article <cistron.19990909232236.A31792@gemini.woot.net>,
Joe Drew  <hoserhead@woot.net> wrote:
>I'm looking at fixing bug #30925, involving distributed-net.
>When a user has the 'mail report' option in distributed-net
>on, and the system is stopped, netbase is killed before
>distributed-net, meaning that d-n can't mail its report out.
>The user reports that changing the symlink name to K18d-n
>resolves the problem, however I'm wondering if this is the
>right solution? Should it be a different number? Should this
>problem be disregarded?

It shouldn't really matter that netbase is stopped, the MTA
(sendmail/exim) should be able to accept the message and put
it in the queue. It will be sent the next time the system boots.

By changing the symlink name to K18d-n perhaps there is a
chance that the MTA will get the message sent out to a remote
machine, but the chance is very small - the MTA itself will
be shutdown in seconds anyway.

If you want to guarantee that the message gets out, you'll
have to wait until the message is sent - which in the worst
case could be a couple of days ;)

Mike.
--
... somehow I have a feeling the hurting hasn't even begun yet
	-- Bill, "The Terrible Thunderlizards"