Re: kernel-package question and suggestion (initrd module loading)

oops, forgot to send this to the list first time.

On Thu, Sep 09, 1999 at 04:27:12AM +0200, Rene Mayrhofer wrote:
> Now a special kernel parameter is needed to give the real root device on boot:
>     real_root_dev=770
> I am trying to figure out how to compute this number (I got it by booting with
> a kernel with IDE support and doing a 'cat /proc/sys/kernel/real-root-dev'),
It is major*2^8 + minor. in c:

unsined int major=bla;
unsined int minor=bla;
unsined int real-root-dev=(major<<8)+minor;

> but the way MAKEDEV does it is too complicated (when the kernel changes, linuxrc
> would have to be recompiled). It should be possible to read the 'root=......'
> option on the kernel commandline (linuxrc is doing that now) and compute the
> number for the real-root-dev.
I think you will have to have a list of devices and their major/minor
numbers.