Re: itp: static bins / resolving static debian issues

* Michael Meskes said:

> So I guess you need neither mount nor tar nor gzip. And instead of packaging
> a static ar how about adding some ar core to sash? I'm sure the upstream
> author would like that.
ar is too complex to put it into sash without sacrificing space. Same goes
for e2fsck etc.

> >    -- su, sulogin (ensure that you can get to a root shell)
>
> Why? Sorry, I missed part of this thread so maybe it was explained earlier,
> but you can boot directly into sash and you can make a root account that has
> sash as shell. I for one have sash as my root shell, but if you don't like
> it why not creating a sashroot, or as BSD (?) names it a toor account?
The thing is we want to avoid booting and thus we need a way to get onto the
root account (or sashroot) from your shell prompt when dynamics are broken -
you need su (or similar) for that.

> In fact this was discussed a lot of months ago. I hvae no idea why it never
> made it into the passwd file.
Me neither. It's needed though.

marek