Re: itp: static bins / resolving static debian issues

On Wed, Aug 18, 1999 at 11:51:48PM -0400, Raul Miller wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 19, 1999 at 11:28:57AM +1000, Craig Sanders wrote:
> > 	lockfile-create /etc/passwd
> >     [ remainder of sample script deleted ]
> >
> > this would require a "Depends: lockfile-progs" in the control file.
>
> Thanks, but this doesn't even fail reasonably if the system uses
> nis or non-passwd pam.

it will still work for nis systems, and will even work for pam where
there is a fallback to /etc/passwd or /etc/shadow. imo, there is no
hope of being able to cater for all situations so something like the
above (but with error checking) which caters for the vast majority of
systems is good enough. anyone who is doing something non-standard can
be epected to know how to deal with it manually.

> [Also, as a minor nit, I also have to deal with the case where
> sashroot already exists.]

it wasn't intended to be a complete, working solution - just a general
example in response to you saying that there are no specialiased tools
for manipulating the passwd/shadow files.

craig

--
craig sanders