Re: ash vs. bash

On Mon, Jul 19, 1999 at 06:29:29AM -0400, Michael Stone wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 19, 1999 at 10:28:34AM +0100, Jules Bean wrote:
> > Cool.  Well, I had another testimonial off-list by Steve Lamb, who uses
> > ash as his /bin/sh.
> >
> > Anyone think of a reason why we shouldn't make this policy (does it have
> > to be policy, or can we just do it?)
>
> Because it's not worth the trouble for most people?

What trouble? All that is needed is a to make ash part of base, do a tweak
in the bash and one in the ash package and perhaps fix some bugs that have
gone undetected until now. (Which obviously should not even be a problem
after what people say.) It may not matter to many users, but if the speed
difference is anywhere in the direction of what has been said here, I
definitely think it should be worth the "trouble".

--
-- JESUS CHRIST IS LORD!