Re: ash vs. bash

On Mon, Jul 19, 1999 at 12:21:49AM +0100, Julian Gilbey wrote:
 >> [...]
 >> system() instructions fork /bin/sh). Programs that expect system(3) to
 >> use a real bourne shell may fail if /bin/sh links to bash. Netscape is
 >> one of those, as it starts external players with "sh -c ((player %s); rm %s)"
 >> and the '((' chunk triggers bash's arithmetical expansion code, instead.
 >
 >Huh??
 >
 >$ bash -c "((echo hello); echo goodbye)"
 >hello
 >goodbye
 >$

Oh, it has probably been fixed in recent versions of bash. This is something
that use to happen to me one year ago or so, I have not checked recently.
I apologieze. My main point was about speed though.

bye

--
Carlo Strozzi       PGP Public Key fingerprint :
ED 4A 7A 6C 88 66 1B 34  06 14 FC 2E C7 EA F2 EE

Against software patents: http://no-patents.prosa.it