Re: when move /usr/doc -> /usr/share/doc ?

On Wed, Jun 30, 1999 at 08:20:34AM -0700, Joseph Carter wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 30, 1999 at 01:35:18PM +0200, Thomas Schoepf wrote:
>
> > > So when are we going to start moving /usr/doc to /usr/share/doc
> > > so we can be fully FHS compliant?  The more I think about it, the
> > > more obvious it is that
> >
> > Afaik, there's currently only a proposal to change our policy
> > to FHS... as soon as FHS is adopted, I'll change my packages
> > accordingly.
>
> Policy 3.0.0.0 will include FHS finally.  I haven't looked at it
> closely yet but /usr/doc/package/examples needs to be dealt with
> prior to moving /usr/doc.  Come to think of it, can anyone provide a
> real example of something arch dependant that belongs in the examples
> directory?

Any example that's a binary executable would be a programming example,
which _should_ be compiled by the person going through the examples
anyway, since they're trying to learn.  If the binary is just a tool
for running/viewing the examples, then it's probably of general use to
the package, and should be included with the main package.

Checking my system (with a sampling of ~1000 packages) I get

(for dir in /usr/doc/*/examples; do find $dir -type f -perm -001; done) |\
xargs file | grep executable | grep -v text

[ chugga chugga chugga ]

/usr/doc/slang1-dev/examples/keypad:                            ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped
/usr/doc/slang1-dev/examples/array:                             ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped
/usr/doc/slang1-dev/examples/pager:                             ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped
/usr/doc/slang1-dev/examples/smgtest:                           ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped
/usr/doc/slang1-dev/examples/useropen:                          ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped
/usr/doc/slang1-dev/examples/simple:                            ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped

So slang has some programming examples, and included the compiled
versions of those examples, but there's no reason they couldn't just be
removed.

--
Alex