Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 23:05:15 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Theodore Y. Ts'o" <tytso@mit.edu>
Subject: Re: ttyS* lockfiles

   How much longer will the cua devices last?

I don't know.  Unfortunately none of the big distributions took the hint
when Linux 2.2 came out.  They're still using the cua devices, and the
FSF shellutils maintainer is lame and *still* hasn't taken the stty
patches I sent him almost two years ago now.

So unfortunately it may be a long time before we can get rid of the cua
devices.  What I'll probably do is remove interlocking functionality of
the cua/ttyS devices, and leave the /dev/cua as a way of accessing the
device without having to open the device with the O_NBLOCK flag.

							- Ted
----- End forwarded message -----

Gruss
Bernd