Re: splitting sysklogd

On Fri, May 28, 1999 at 03:34:14PM +0200, Balazs Scheidler wrote:
> I would like to propose splitting sysklogd into two parts: syslogd and
> klogd. I am the author of an alternative syslogd called syslog-ng, and I
> would need klogd's functionalities (e.g. reading kernel log, and
> substituting kernel symbols), but will have to conflict the current
> syslogd, since two logging daemons cannot run at the same time.
>
> Would this be possible?

        For the record, I have already tried to do a debian
        package of syslog-ng, and have requested this via
        our bug tracking system. See
        http://www.debian.org/Bugs/db/35/35586.html

        Joey hasn't responded yet; still waiting. I have a setup
        that diverts sysklogd's init-script, I will send my
        .diff.gz to you in private mail.

        Are you a Debian developer also? If so, I suppose you
        will be making packages of your software yourself?
        Otherwise, I can function as a "rubber stamp", PGP-signing
        your sources for Debian.

--
Havoc Consulting | unix, linux, perl, mail, www, internet, security consulting
+358 50 5486010  | software development, unix administration, training