Re: why I packaged the GNU Philosophy web pages

On 26-May-99, 02:17 (CDT), Edward Betts <edward@debian.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 26 May, 1999, Steve Greenland wrote:
> > Is there any chance of convincing you that if you must package these
> > and place them in the archive to please limit it to the first section
> > ("About Free Software") and a pointer to the rest?
>
> No, the other topics are important.
>
> 'Why does Debain have a gimp package and a gimp-non-free package?'
> 'Because of the problems with GIFs.'
> 'What problems?'
> 'Install gnu-philosophy and read the section on GIFs.'
> 'Ah, thank you, I am now enlighted'

'Why does Debian have a gimp package and a gimp-non-free package?'
'Because writing GIFs potentially violates patent licensing terms.'
'What terms?'
'Check out http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/gif.html.'
'Ah, thank you, I am now enlightened.'

(alternatively:

'Install gnu-philosophy from the Debian docs_and_data archive/CDs and
read the section on GIFS.'
'Ah, thank you, I am now enlightened.')

Oh well, I guess we have to agree-to-disagree on this one. And if I'm
going to bitch about bloat in the archive, I should start with XEmacs.
(Steve runs for cover :-)).

Steve