Re: PROPOSAL: automatic installation and configuration

On Thu, May 27, 1999 at 03:30:11PM +0300, Amos Shapira was heard to say:
> From: Daniel Burrows <Daniel_Burrows@brown.edu>
> >   The idea was to make a program similar to dialog, but which would
> > interpret a mini-language and be abstracted around data instead of widgets.
>
> Not to sound like an XML biggot, but what about using XML to describe
> the fields and acceptable answers?  There is an abundance of tools to
> parse XML in any practical language you might consider.

  Actually my original plan was to eventually do XML, but my ignorance of
XML and the complexity of APIs to the parsers discouraged me.  I think it
would be possible to allow both input formats, although that of course
makes the program take longer to write :-)
  I might just write it in a way that'll make it easy to swap in new
input modules, either at compile-time or at runtime.

> >   I think this may be a better approach than simply asking for answers
> > because it allows both structure and distinction between different data
>
> I agree with these advantages.
>
> >   If anyone else thinks this is a good idea I'll revive the project and
> > start working on the C (or maybe C++) incarnation.
>
> I like the general idea (describe the questions in some data format).
>
> --Amos

  Thanks :-)  Of course now the problem is to get a working program..

  Daniel

--
The New Testament offers the basis for modern computer coding theory,
in the form of an affirmation of the binary number system.

        But let your communication be Yea, yea; nay, nay:
        for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil.
                -- Matthew 5:37