Re: Need Alpha Help

On Tuesday 30 March 1999, at 12 h 11, the keyboard of Brent Fulgham
<bfulgham@xpsystems.com> wrote:

> Unfortunately, I do not have root access to an alpha and was wondering if
> someone who has access to an alpha could download the omniorb package and do
> an install/deinstall to see if it works properly?  I can affirm that
> everything works fine under i386.
>
> In addition -- if there is a way to use faure or some other system to do
> this kind of test, I'd appreciate pointers.

[I get the same problem.]

If and only if your package has no hardcoded absolute file names (if it has, you may patch it to use environment variables), you can test it with:

dpkg -x mypackage-1.0-1_alpha.deb  ~/my-false-root
setenv PATH ~/my-false-root/usr/bin:${PATH}
my-program

This works fine for simple programs. For setuid stuff or complicated packages, I know no solution (debian-admin does not wish to give root access to faure, for obvious reasons).