Re: ESR wishes to retire

On Mon, 29 Mar 1999, Hamish Moffatt wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 28, 1999 at 10:20:18PM -0500, Phillip R. Jaenke wrote:
> > He knew exactly what he was getting into. And he's running away.
> > Like the scared little child he has seemed to be, at least to me, since
> > day one.
>
> Actually, my impression was that he didn't actually intend to quit,
> just to have a chance to tell us all to get stuffed and get off his back.

Agreed. This was actually a format that lets him say: "Would you put up
with this kind of crap if you were in my shoes?" Which, of course, takes
the debate away from the specific issues of licenses etc...

> I'll be happy when he quits it with bullshit like APSL is Open Source.

I would hardly characterize this as bullshit. I read ESR's reply to the
open letter from Bruce and Co., and he had well reasoned "legal" arguments
for the inclusion of those objectionable clauses. My problem with his
possition is that he seems to be speaking as a "legal" representative of
Apple's position on the license. I feel that Apple should be the one to
defend the license and ESR should be the one questioning the objectionable
points. The fact that this isn't the case causes me the most concern.

The parts of the license that "we" disagree with, are, as best I can tell,
legal "cover your ass" type liability statements, and should not be part
of a "use license" like this. Any use license that can be retro-actively
desolved, is no real license at all, and is certainly not one we should
consider free.

Waiting is,

Dwarf