xmkmf sets wrong library search path

i just noticed (trying to rebuild xpm4g on a powerpc, but the same
thing happens on i386) that xmkmf sets the wrong library search path.
namely, -L/usr/X11R6/lib always comes ahead of any local directories.
this means that if one tries to build a debian package which uses
xmkmf, any executables in that package will be linked against the old
version of the libraries being built, since the new version is not
installed yet.

the way i managed to get around this is by calling make with
LDPRELIBS=" ". this way the libraries in the local directory always
come ahead of those in /usr/X11R6/lib. i think we should modify
debhelper to call make with LDPRELIBS set to nothing (i.e. 'make
LDPRELIBS=" "'). any opinions?

--alex--

--
| I believe the moment is at hand when, by a paranoiac and active |
|  advance of the mind, it will be possible (simultaneously with  |