Re: Themes - do we package them?

On Sun, Feb 14, 1999 at 10:42:42AM -0600, Marcelo E. Magallon wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 13, 1999 at 04:32:40PM +0000, Jules Bean wrote:
>
> > Against:
> >
> > Themes can contain lots of graphics and be quite large, bloating the
> > distribution.
> >
> > Themes are generally distributed as tarballs and are trivial to install
> > anyway.
>
> Against, many of them have LAME licenses.

Well, I just found this on wm.themes.org:

            Well... We have always had this as a policy, but some people
            seem to forget why.  Themes will be of ORIGINAL WORK only!

            Whats this mean? Well, it means several things... If there is a
            theme or something on themes.org, then those images are now for
            personal use or for other projects. The work here on themes.org
            can be considered (GPL) except where its obvious that its not
            {hence a commercial product or something from a known place like
            digital blashphemy... those will remain the works of the
            original authors.} Things that are found on say the Tile of the
            day, or Bar of the day (these things will be back up soon), or
            propaganda.themes.org... are for personal use only. Meaning; you
            can't submit a theme or any work to themes.org that has an image
            FROM themes.org or is part of a theme already submitted to
            themes.org.

(/me wonders if OctoberX reads -devel)

themes.org's policy is a bit odd (we distribute your work but you can't
distribute ours), but if the above statement really IS their acceptance
policy, all we have to ask them now is to REQUIRE a decent and complete
license (not those "do whatever you want but..." licenses)

							Marcelo