Re: gnome-apt worry

On Thu, Feb 04, 1999 at 10:41 -0600, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Feb 1999, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 4 Feb 1999, Dave Swegen wrote:
> > > I tried out gnome at the weekend and thought "nice for beginners, extra
> > > bloat for me". So I'm hoping that gnome-apt isn't going to rely on the
> > > gnome-libs, or that there will be a gtk-only version for those of us who
> > > don't mind editing config files in vi :) I can't see it being that tricky
> > > to strip out the gnome stuff (then again I'm probably wrong knowing me).
> > >

> Sorry to follow up on myself, a couple other points -
>
>  - it sounds like your objection might be to the Gnome environment;
>    gnome-apt does not require you to run the panel, file manager, or any
>    of that. Just the libs.
>
>  - it would indeed be fairly hard to strip out the Gnome stuff in a nice
>    way, this is not a trivial thing
>
>  - For the ultimate in lean and mean, the Xlib/terminal frontend still
>    exists in half-finished form & AFAIK is still going to be finished
>    eventually. (of course, real men re-implement Xlib and send raw
>    protocol to the display socket. ;-)

I acknowledge that gnome might not be that bloaty, but the main reason is
that I don't really want a bucketload of (small) libs floating about on my
system that I only use for one app, and that require regular updating
(which apt of course would take care of :) That is the main reason for my
objection to using gnome.

I assumed it wouldn't be too hard to do a gtk+ only version - I stand
corrected.

Oh, and please don't do what I've noticed a lot of gtk coders doing - going
with the devel version and to all intent ignoring the stable version, thus
rendering it pointless (I'm guilty of this myself tho ;)

Cheers
	Dave

--
         Dave Swegen           | Debian 2.0 on Linux i386 2.1.125
<dave@recursive.prestel.co.uk> | PGP key available on request