Re: Suggestion: Skip Slink!

On Tue, Jan 05, 1999 at 03:41:16PM -0500, Avery Pennarun wrote:

> What I should have said was: it's nice to have a sparc port, but sparc isn't
> important enough to hold up the i386 release and especially not important

"Not important" is all too often applied to the non-i386 releases.  I find
it apalling.  There should be no reason to consider one Debian architecture
superior to another, or more or less worthy of being included with the
release CDs, etc.  (Excepting ports that are not yet complete, of course.)

If, for instance, there's a critical bug in some vital package (say, X) that
only manifests itself on big-endian machines, the release should and would
be held up to fix it.  I think you may feel differently if you ponder what
would happen if that logic were applied to the i386 version.  Everyone else
releases, but no i386 release.  Could be interesting, don't you think?

As somebody that has run Debian on at least two non-i386 platforms, I feel
justly offended by your attitude and the attitue of those like you that
consider non-i386 Debian distributions second-class citizens somehow.  There
is no logical reason for this distinction.  The Linux kernel supports my
Alpha in 64-bit mode as well as, if not better than, your i386 in 32-bit
mode.  If you are talking about technical merit, I'm sure most will tell you
that i386 is at or near the bottom of the heap, not the top.  So please,
don't get this "high and mighty i386" attitude.

--
John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@complete.org |
Visit the Air Capital Linux Users Group on the web at http://www.aclug.org