Re: Disallowing explicit delays in the stop target of init.d scripts?

On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 12:19:51AM +0200, Shaul Karl wrote:
>   The desire to terminate a process in a clean manner motivates
> maintainers to use constructs like
>
>     start-stop-daemon --retry -HUP/60/-TERM
>
> or otherwise implement delay in the stop target of init.d scripts.
> See, for example, http://bugs.debian.org/235196. I didn't search for
> other examples. Yet the fact that the maintainer of the concerned
> package had consensus for this delay on the #debian-devel channel
> suggests that sooner or later it will happen again.

That reminds me that shutting down my laptop and workstation require
ages since a couple of weeks in sid. The problem is that
'/etc/init.d/networking stop' delays for 1 minute or more.
The overall shutting down requires also more time. That's quite
different from what it was previously.

This is probably (?) intentional but extrememly awful for my
personal use. I think that having the possibilty of shutting down
with or without additional delays should be at least configurable
by the admin in a reasonable way (e.g, a /etc/default/rcS variable)
I personally have not critical services in run on those machines
and awaiting so loooooong is not mandatory.

--
Francesco P. Lovergine