Re: Disallowing explicit delays in the stop target of init.d scripts?

On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 12:19:51AM +0200, Shaul Karl wrote:
>   The desire to terminate a process in a clean manner motivates
> maintainers to use constructs like

>     start-stop-daemon --retry -HUP/60/-TERM

>   I strongly feel that this should be discouraged. Although a clean
> termination of a process is desirable, I believe that the stop target is
> not the right place for that. This is so because first and for most,
> when someone wants to bring the machine down then his wish should be
> carried out as quickly as possible. Isn't small tools for well defined

Not doing this creates problems for other uses of the init scripts such
as restarting the service.  The stop target does create the expectation
that once it's been succesfully invoked the start target can be invoked
without worrying about a previous shutdown still being in progress.

>   Do I have support in taking this issue to debian-policy so that
> policy will be amended to allow such delays only on extreme cases?

I'd strongly oppose that.  I'd imagine that given that a majority of
users probably won't care either way and that many UPSs are unlikely to
beso marginal for power as to have a serious problem with shutting
things down cleanly it'd create more trouble than it's worth.