Re: w3m -> standard, lynx -> optional

Atsuhito Kohda <kohda@pm.tokushima-u.ac.jp> wrote:
> From: Thomas Dickey <dickey@saltmine.radix.net>
> Subject: Re: w3m -> standard, lynx -> optional
> Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 14:11:40 -0000

>> That's an apples & oranges comparison, btw.  I see that lynx-cur (which
>> is what you should have cited) is built with ncurses rather than ncursesw
>> (a problem for this comparison).

> So I just uploaded lynx-cur 2.8.5-17 compiled with ncursesw.

>> lynx can, if it is packaged properly.  For more than a year (2.8.5dev.7).

> I hope lynx-cur was packaged properly but if you noticed
> any problem please let me know.

Given the current situation with people wanting to use UTF-8, and that
Debian does have (since July) a package for ncursesw, yes - I think lynx
should be configured with it, e.g.,

	configure --with-screen=3Dncursesw

That will let lynx display with UTF-8.  It won't handle UTF-8 input (I'
simply haven't found time yet).  To see UTF-8 input with ncursesw, look
at the dialog package - I'd like to do something like that in lynx for
post-2.8.5 work.  One of the other packagers has been pushing to make
ncursesw a standard package, so that might be simpler than before.

I should have mentioned this before, but overlooked it, and was
irritated by some of the pro-elinks comments, e.g,.  "lynx doesn't
follow standards", implying that elinks does...

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net