Re: Fam mustn't depend on portmap (was Re: new portmap packages, testers wanted)

Henning Makholm, on 2004-01-22, 02:33, you wrote:
> > In this particular case, where all FAM is doing is looking up a port
> > number, portmapper is way overkill.
>
> Perhaps I'm really ignorant, but is "looking up a port number" not the
> *only* thing the portmap service can be used for?

Not exactly.  Given a specific RPC program number (see /etc/rpc, you
will find a service called sgi_fam with program number 391002), portmap
is used for two things.  First of all, a starting RPC service, like FAM
is one, registers with portmap to announce its availability and to get a
TCP or UDP port allocated.  Client programs can then query portmap for
available services and retrieve the allocated ports to connect to that
service.  So it's kind of a service registry that abolishes the need for
well-known ports for each kind of service.  This is how RPC works and so
do CORBA and RMI.

Joerg

--
Joerg "joergland" Wendland
GPG: 51CF8417 FP: 79C0 7671 AFC7 315E 657A  F318 57A3 7FBD 51CF 8417