Re: A More Radical Multi-Arch Counter-Proposal

On Sun, Jan 18, 2004 at 11:56:19AM +0100, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> But they neither have nor want a full 64 bit system. Why should they
> need to port, use and maintain a 64 bit make, automake, autoconf, gcc,
> binutils and all essential/build-essential debs all of which are
> slower just for a 64bit postgresql?

Why do you assume that on amd64 64bit code always runs slower?

On amd64 the 64bit ABI isn't as register-starved as the 32bit ABI, so
64bit code might actually work faster.

And I fail to see why you consider amd64 to be a 32bit architecture with
some 64bit extensions instead of considering it as a 64bit architecture
with a good 32bit support?

Why should someone running an amd64 system with only the software in his
distribution require even a single bit of 32bit software on his system?

> MfG
>         Goswin

cu
Adrian