Re: Upcoming Debian multiarch support (amd64, sparc64, s390x, mips64) [affects sarge slightly]

On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 09:25:21PM +0100, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Repeating myself again in the hope you might read it this time:
>
> The main reason for /lib and /lib64 on amd64 by now is because
> everyone else is doing it.

And writing standards about it too. It's in the LSB.

http://www.linuxbase.org/spec/specs.php

A not unimportant reason for wanting proper support for biarch in
Debian is that is what the users of these systems want. I know I bought
my Athlon64 for the specific purpose of having a compatible,
comfortable, fast x86 system, yet with the possibility of speeding up
specific programs. Add to that the ability to mmap all the hd space in
my machine (I know I'm going to have fun playing with object databases).

You may think that these processors are exotic, but in a couple of
months most people who'd normally buy a slightly faster than average AMD
processor will suddenly have a 64 bit machine.

--
Bart.