Re: util-linux seems to have /sbin/fsck

On Mon, Jan 12, 2004 at 09:59:29PM +0000, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
> The reason I haven't integrated logsave into the current scripts
> is that bootlogd does basically the same. But bootlogd isn't
> perfect - it should be replaced with something better. Perhaps
> the logsave approach, using pty's, in a client/server setup
> over a named pipe ? /dev/bootlogd| ? A few simple hooks in
> /etc/init.d/rcS and /etc/init.d/rc and this would work. Those
> hooks could also trivially be used for dummy-mode redhat-style
> "Starting apache .. [OK]" output.

Why use pty's?  logsave just uses pipes, because nothing in
/etc/init.d scripts should be stoping to ask the user questions.
Certainly no fsck script should.  In addition, using pipes instead of
pty's avoids some of the problems you mentioned with bootlogd.

The other reason why I think the fsck scripts should be saved in
another file is that normally they are much less verbose than the full
boot logs, and while you might want to only save only a few boot
sessions, fsck logs should be saved for much longer, since often times
they can be critical for reconstructing what happened.

I don't understand your whole proposal of client/server setup with
bootlogd, so perhaps you have a more elegant solution in mind.  But at
first listening, it sounds a lot more complicated than it needs to
be....

						- Ted