Re: How to determine the urgency of an upload

On Mon, Jan 12, 2004 at 05:19:50PM +0100, Tobias Toedter wrote:
> I think it's clear to set the urgency to low for almost every purpose --
> except for security updates, I guess that should be urgency=high.
>
> But what about urgency=medium? Are there any guidelines or is it entirely up
> to the maintainer of a package to set the urgency to this level?

Urgency denotes how long it should take for the package to trickle to
testing. So if a particularly outdated version is in sarge, and you have
just uploaded a version whose functionality you are confident of, upload
it with urgency medium or high so it gets into testing within 5 or 2
days respectively. Same reasoning if you have just fixed a particularly
nasty bug.

Of course, urgency != low should be used sparingly to allow the unstable
users to test the new packages and to not throw off the whole transition-
to-sarge system.

--
Joshua Kwan