Re: Upcoming Debian multiarch support (amd64, sparc64, s390x, mips64) [affects sarge slightly]

On Jan 11, 2004, at 15:16, Scott James Remnant wrote:

Or just have separately named packages?  With the "lesser ABI" package
depending on the "major ABI" one as I outlined in my other e-mail.

AMD Opteron processors apparently run faster in 64-bit mode, due to having more registers available. Having one of those systems, I'm sure that 64-bit is the "major ABI" --- I don't really see much reason to keep 32-bit around if I don't have to.

OTOH, many users of our x86 port won't much care for that solution.

I don't think we want to do two ports, one with 64-bit preferred, one with 32-bit preferred.