Re: Some observations regardig the progress towards Debian 3.1

On Mon, Dec 01, 2003 at 04:10:56PM -0800, Mike Fedyk wrote:
> > * it isn't consistent in all respects; e.g. although the package
> >   dependencies might have been fulfilled, it contained for some time a
> >   strange mixture of GNOME 1 and GNOME 2
>
> I'm pretty sure that was because of hinting.

Not necessarily.

The GNOME 1 and the GNOME 2 libraries can coexist, and testing and
unstable contain both.

That's required, since some important applications that use that GNOME
libraries but arent't part of GNOME aren't ported to GNOME 2. An example
for such an application is Gnucash (when counting libglib1.2 as GNOME
library, e.g. CUPS (via gs-esp), FVWM and xmms are also affected).

An example:

Both testing and unstable contain GNOME 1 and GNOME 2 libraries.

testing:

Package: App1
Version: 1-1
Depends: some GNOME1-libs

Package: App2
Version: 1-1
Depends: some GNOME1-libs

unstable:

Package: App1
Version: 2-1
Depends: some GNOME2-libs

Package: App2
Version: 2-1
Depends: some GNOME2-libs

The way testing works, it's always possible for version 2-1 of App1 to
enter testing while testing still contains version 1-1 of App2, or vice
versa.

cu
Adrian

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.