Re: Integrate Knoppix in Debian (was: Re: Debian Enterprise?)

On Sat, Nov 29, 2003 at 11:22:24PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:

> So last year (well, early this year), Bdale came up with the idea of
> "flavours", which unfortunately hasn't really gone anywhere yet. That idea

Luckily, it has.  Please see http://wiki.debian.net/index.cgi?CustomDebian

The idea of Custom Debians comes also from that Bdale talk, and has
landed at this summer's Debcamp where we tried to merge it with
other concepts/ideas/names like "metadistro", "custom distro",
"subdistro", "subproject", whatever, where applicable.

In the Debcamp Custom Distributions BOF[1], [...] "The meeting ended
with two major conclusions:
 1) They agreed as a group to try and reduce the confusion around the
  terms subprojects, subdistros, flavors, and others by referring to
  their projects as Custom Debian Distributions." [...]

Just yesterday I delivered a talk at the Bologna's LinuxDay about it.
I showed (among other things) how Custom Debian distributions can be a
way to gather in the main Debian the externalities created while working
with free software.  In Debian they can concur, thanks to networking
effects (and Metcalfe Law), to a nice creative process and later feed
back in the Custom Debians as big improvements on Debian itself.

Which can be quite cool :)

There is still much to go, much work to do, but at least, luckily, that
idea is going on quite fine.

Ciao,

Enrico

[1] http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-nonprofit/News/2003/20030717