Re: Tabs v.s. spaces (was Re: Programming first steps.)

H. S. Teoh wrote:
On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 11:47:34AM -0600, Chad Walstrom wrote:
[snip]

I have a love-hate relationship with the significant whitespace.

I have a hate-hate relationship with it. I much prefer free-style syntax
where the programmer is allowed to use his best judgment on how to indent
the code. Of course, in less-than-ideal projects, or projects with
less-then-ideal programmers, this could result in a mess, but I'm speaking
of personal preference here.

Problem is that in languages which allow "free-style syntax" you're not allowed free-style syntax at all. You're required to match }'s with {'s (or the local language equivolents) and end all lines with ; (except for some cases when you don't have to). This is still a restriction of the same order, just with different characters and rules.

Oddly enough ever since picking up Python a few years back I've never once felt constrained by its significant whitespace. I felt a profound relief, however, when dealing with other people's code becuase it looked and behaved just like mine. There is enough freedom in the rules that a programmer doesn't have to worry about the end of the screen yet there is enough sensible structure to make the code readable. I mean, let's get down to it....

if foo {
    bar;
} else {
    baz;
}

if foo
{
    bar;
}
else
{
    baz;
}

if foo {
    bar;
}
else {
    baz;
}

....if you remove the points of contention between those three you're left with...

if foo
    bar
else
    baz

...which is a colon away from legal Python syntax.  :P