Re: radiusd-freeradius history and future

On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 12:53:39PM -0600, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 08:35:53AM +1100, Paul Hampson wrote:

> > I've been splitting out ODBC support locally since the very beginning,
> > but everytime I mooted it, Wichert Akkerman (amongst others, but he was
> > at the time gatekeeper to the debian/ dir in CVS, if you're wondering
> > why I keep invoking him) disagreed on the grounds of archive bloat,
> > since rlm_sql_iodbc only pulls in the one package (libiodbc2).

> And rlm_sql_mysql only pulls in libmysqlclient10, and rlm_krb5 only
> pulls in libkrb53. :)  These dependencies should be regarded with
> parity.

True. And I was too afraid of turning that discussion into "Why don't
we unsplit mysql" to persue that path. Besides, just because the
previous maintainer thought a certain package split was correct, doesn't
absolve me of having to argue it through convincingly myself.

> > I also promised that I would address _that_ once it was in the archive.
> > :-)

> > My personal inclination is to micro-packages, but I _like_ installing
> > packages. :-)

> I'm personally rather indifferent on the question.  Embedded systems
> developers and ftp masters are known to have stronger opinions.

Which, if I have been following correctly, come into direct conflict...

Or can do, depending on which FTP master you get.
Paul "TBBle" Hampson, MCSE
Paul.Hampson@Anu.edu.au

"No survivors? Then where do the stories come from I wonder?"
-- Capt. Jack Sparrow, "Pirates of the Caribbean"

use, duplication and distribution.