Re: ftpmaster accepts packages that have been rejected a few days ago

On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 08:18:51AM +0100, Marc Haber wrote:

> In early November, people asked me to package br2684ctl, a new program
> that has not been officially released by the linux-atm upstream. So I
> would have to pull br2684ctl from upstream CVS and include it in my
> package that contains released software only.

Why would you want to do this, rather than making a separate source package?
Since they are obviouly not released together, it does not make sense to try
to graft a CVS snapshot of br2684ctl onto linux-atm.

> James Troup. He was unusually polite, but the mail exchange ended with him
> announcing that "Well, sorry, but I'm personally not prepared to add
> (overrides for) a package to unstable with nothing but an 8k binary and a
> 1k manpage."

I agree; if (for whatever reason) it was being built from the same source
pacakge, I would just put it in an existing binary package.  If you are
concerned about its unreleased status, put a note in README.Debian, or (at
most) in the package description.

> Well, to make things short, the people who asked me to include
> br2684ctl with linux-atm have prepared their own package - of course
> still only consisting of an 8k binary and a 1k manpage and uploaded to
> unstable. This time, the package was promptly ACCEPTed in a matter of
> days
> (http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-changes/2003/debian-devel-changes-200311/msg00760.html).

There are in fact multiple people who fill the role of ftpmaster; this
package may have been processed by someone entirely different, who had a
different opinion on the situation.

--
 - mdz