Re: [debian-devel] [Deb] Re: Localized bug reporting?

On 01-Nov-03, 22:52 (CST), Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> wrote:
> Well, I did also ask if you feel obliged to monitor random LUG lists,
> too, which can serve as secondary BTSs for LUGs that have a lot of
> Debian users.  Do you feel obliged to do google searches for people
> having problems with your package?

No. But I think someone who submits a bug to an official Debian BTS has
a reasonable expectation for a response from the maintainer.

> Mainly, there's a class of bugs that might be user error and might be
> real bugs, that can't be further diagnosed without access to the machine
> they're appearing on, and whose submitter just isn't capable of working
> out what went wrong. Those bugs are really better off reported to a
> LUG, or a local consultant, or somewhere else that someone can actually
> physically sit down at the computer and work out wtf's going on.

Sure. And I think we already have those, not only as you describe above,
but also debian-user, and the various debian-user-<language>.

> Probably because the BTS is for English. (And, for that matter, Debian
> still isn't all that well i18n-ized, meaning most people who use it probably
> can speak English, more or less)

I'd combine this statement (Debian is mostly for users who can use
English), with the previous (need for LUGs and other local help) and
suggest that rather than having Debian create a whole multi-language
support structure, we should encourage others to create localized
distributions and support structures. Which was in fact one of the
original goals of Debian, that it serve as a sort of meta-distribution,
easily adapted to more specialized goals.

Steve

--
Steve Greenland
    world.       -- seen on the net