Re: Pre-Depends for postgresql

Hi!

On 2003-10-18  8:39 +1000, Herbert Xu wrote:
> I have some reservations about using pre-dependencies on a package
> like adduser.  Since adduser was not designed as something that worked
> at all times, a pre-dependency may not be sufficient to guarantee
> that it is working when your postinst runs.
>
> In particular, the packages that adduser itself depends on may not
> haven been configured at that time.  For example, you may end up in
> a state where the passwd package is not operational due to a libpam
> upgrade.  Please refer to the discussion that arose on debian-policy
> when this last came up.

This seems to be a serious issue. But hopefully the need for the
predependency will dissolve in the future anyway because we plan to
change PostgreSQL packaging to a system which can have multiple major
versions installed in parallel, so there's no need for backing up in
the preinst any more.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Martin
--