Re: [debian-devel] MPEG 1 licensing

On Fri, Oct 31, 2003 at 07:17:26AM +0000, Magosányi Árpád wrote:
> Unfortunately the US is not in the free world, but there
> is a recent report of FTC which did point out the problems
> of the patent system, but failed to draw the consequences,
> perhaps because of political reasons.

I'm pulling for free software, and it will "win" in the sense that
eventually everyone will use it, but I have few hopes for the political
aims.  Eventually Judge Asshole is gonna pee in everyone's cheerios, and
just like every utopian ideal in history, it'll be discredited.

Did you know there was a "hippie" movement in the 1860s?  Lots of people
started living on communes, there was experiemnation with open marriage,
and they were gonna all take turns being the farmer, the teacher, the
blacksmith, so everything would be fair to everyone.

Self-interest and squabling took them all.  "Real Life Is A Bitch", and
nobody ever went broke betting on that. :-)