Re: Brief descriptions in menu entries

On 29-Oct-03, 17:28 (CST), Ben Burton <bab@debian.org> wrote:
> I'm actually not that fussed - I'm not arguing about _how_ window
> managers should use this information.  I'm simply arguing for it to be
> added as a field to the debian menu system.

I realized that *you* weren't, but I think others were (this thread
seems to be about both content and presentation.)

> As it happens, KDE chooses to put them in the menu entry text; this is
> upstream's decision.  If someone else wants to use it as tooltips, this
> is fine by me as well.  How it's used does not need to be decided on a
> global scale.

True, and I can always override the menu generator. But my opinion is
that for menu types that don't support this directly, I'd urge the
implementors to not imbed the generic text into the menu item text.
It's one of those things that may be nice the first couple of times you
look at it, but soon becomes a distraction from the real info. Tool
tips work a lot better for this sort of thing, because they only show
if I'm actually curious about a particular item. That's why tool tips
were invented, it seems a shame to not use them (if the particular menu
system supports tool tips at all, of course.)

Down with clutter!
Steve

--
Steve Greenland