Re: Source only uploads?

Am Mi, den 22.10.2003 schrieb Herbert Xu um 11:42:
> Joachim Breitner <debian@joachim-breitner.de> wrote:
> >
> > what if we stick to our principle "the maintainer knows best" and
> > provide the infrastructure for source only uploads, but leave it to the
> > maintainer whether he wants to do so. Some here think buildd'ed packages
>
> I agree with the part about "the maintainer knowing best".
>
> But why waste time creating that infrastructure when those
> maintainers who need a clean build environment can already
> create their own chroots with minimal effort.

I'd say that the time to create a larger i386 buildd infrastructure and
some way for the Arch: All binaries is less than the combined time to
set up lots of litte chroots by themselves. This is just a guess,
though, especially as some maintainers still want their own chroots to
check their build-depends before they upload the package.

But then, a buildd is still different than 400 chroots at the
maintainers' homes, as it would be the same for all (or at least quite a
few, since it hopefully will be the maintainer's choice), which in my
opinion is a good thing and works well.

Uh. guess that is a bit confuse. I just think that the benefits are
larger than the effort to create the infrastructure.

nomeata
--
Joachim "nomeata" Breitner
  e-Mail: mail@joachim-breitner.de | Homepage: http://www.joachim-breitner.de